Working toward zero waste doesn’t need to be expensive or complicated. Like other things in life, aim for progress not perfection.
Here are some simple swaps to get you started…
- Trade household cleaners containing potentially toxic chemicals with a natural cleaner that can be refilled. This one is biodegradable, phosphate free and smells like lemongrass.
- Likewise, refilling laundry detergent or using laundry strips are a great way for fresh laundry without creating unnecessary plastic packaging.
- Bamboo toothbrushes are 100% biodegradable and naturally antibacterial. This one is locally made. Get a pack for the whole family!
- Dental floss is another swap that you can easily make to reduce waste. Choose from biodegradable and vegan friendly options like this and this.
- You can also easily opt for refillable hand soap, deodorant, body wash, shampoo and conditioner. Rosemary Orange Blossom hand soap is our fave!
- By now, most of us have ditched single-use plastic bags. These reusable Baggu bags come in a rainbow of designs and colours to brighten your day.
- Not only are tea bags not fully compostable, fancy tea bags also release microplastics into your drink. Eek! Instead, choose loose leaf teas and use a tea strainer. This tea mug comes in 6 calming colours to make steeping your favourite cup easy and fun.
- When it comes to your daily coffee, why not choose a pour over with a reusable coffee filter or a french press instead of single-serve coffee pods, which create unnecessary costs and waste.
- Speaking of coffee, bring your own reusable coffee mug over disposable paper cups, which have a plastic lining inside. This double-walled Kinto tumbler is a work of art and keeps your coffee hot for hours.
- When shopping for pantry essentials, shop in bulk with your own containers!