Since the dawn of time, humans have drawn the items that surround them. Ancient Roman paintings of fruits and flowers kicked off a tradition adopted by artists from Caravaggio to Van Gogh. Still life requires us to slow down and pay attention to often-overlooked details – an art in itself. Colors, patterns and textures are everywhere, and noticing the shape of the coffee cup on our desk or the orange of a pumpkin at the market can spark all kinds of ideas.
This beautiful book of quick, achievable and fun exercises from graphic artist and designer Alice Oehr will inspire you to put your own spin on still life and create artworks with what you have. Learn
• Use uncomplicated techniques to represent objects on paper,
• Experiment with pattern and color,
• Create texture with different collage, paint or even pixels,
• Take the time to appreciate the small things and build creativity into your routines,
• And of course use artistic license and invent your own rules!